Karahi is nothing but a heavy bottom pan in a big bowl shape. The Karahi recipes are all made in this pan and thus named after it. The origins of karahi recipes can be found in Pakistan, so named this dish Lahori Murg Karahi.
Chicken is also known as “Murg” and here i have used small cuts of chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are juicy and is easy to chew. It doesn’t get chewy unlike the breast pieces., but whole chicken can also be used. Lahori Murg Karahi is made in thick rich tomato gravy and various spices to give it its aroma and flavour!
Karahi recipes are generally dry but i like keeping a little thick gravy , which makes it even more tastier and fingerlicking. Lahori Murg Karahi is served with Roti, Naan, Parathas or Rumali rotis.
- 2lb/1 kg Chicken Thighs boneless
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Cup Curd/ Yogurt
- 3-4 Cloves / Long
- 6-7 Black Peppercorns / Golki
- 3 Green Cardamoms / Elaichi
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin/ Jeera Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli Powder to taste
- 2 Tablespoon Oil / Ghee
- 4 Slit Green Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon fresh Ginger Julienne
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Green Coriander for Garnish
PREPARATION TIME: 45 Minutes
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Heat oil in Karahi and crackle peppercorns, cardamom and cloves
- Throw in chopped onions and ginger garlic paste. Saute until onions get golden brown in colour.
- Add in 2 green chillies and chicken pieces, saute until chicken changes colour and finishes releasing water.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, Salt and Turmeric and give everything a good mix.
- Once the tomatoes soften, add in cumin and coriander powder, saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the excess liquid reduces, add in the curd and garam masala.
- Mix everything, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in between.
- Cook until the curd releases oil, and chicken takes up a glossy look.
- Add little water if gravy required and simmer and let boil until chicken is done
- Garnish with Ginger Juliennes, Fresh coriander leaves and slit green chillies.
- Serve hot with Roti, Naan or Rumali rotis.