CORIANDER / CILANTRO
Cilantro is a popular Mediterranean herb commonly recognised in India as coriander or dhania patta. It is part of most Indian kitchens and very often used to garnish curries, salads and soups. A simple aloo ki sabzi tastes much better with a liberal garnishing of coriander.
It is an annual herb. Coriander is native to regions spanning from southern Europe and North Africa to southwestern Asia.
The leaves are variously referred to as coriander leaves, fresh coriander, Chinese parsley, or (in North America) cilantro.
CORIANDER LEAVES NUTRITIONAL VALUE:
Cilantro is an excellent source of minerals like potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, and magnesium.
It is also rich in many vital vitamins including folic-acid, vitamin-A, beta carotene and vitamin-C that are essential for optimum health.
CORIANDER LEAVES 10 HEALTH BENEFITS:
* It lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the levels of good cholesterol (HDL).
* It helps in the reduction of fats and thus aids weight loss.
* When eaten fresh and raw, coriander tremendously reduces sugar level, thus good for diabetes patients.
* A very good food for digestive system. Promotes liver functions and bowel movements. Prevents flatulence when taken with hot water. Coriander leaves are a good source of roughage and fiber too, thus relieving gastrointestinal problems.
* Coriander contains anti-inflammatory properties. This is why it is good against inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
* It is good for the eyes. Antioxidants in coriander prevent eye diseases and problems. It’s a good remedy in the treatment of conjunctivitis.
* Coriander is effective in relieving dermatological conditions. When mixed with turmeric powder or paste, coriander reduces acne and provides protection from eczema, dryness and fungal infections.
* Coriander aids in proper functioning of liver and helps prevent cancer and epileptic seizures
* Coriander prevents involuntary contraction of muscles and is effective in fighting cold
* Natural compounds in coriander leaves remove toxic heavy metals from the body without any side effects. Accumulation of heavy metals can cause many dangerous health problems including memory loss and Alzheimer’s Disease
This humble herb can be grown in your kitchen garden. So, make it a part of your kitchen and add more taste to your platter. And also derive benefits from its health properties.