Chutneys are an essential part of any meal. They are made up of different fruits and vegetables or sometimes even the peel of the vegetable. Its a pureed form or paste form of any fruit or veggie with spices and even a tempuring sometimes. Chutneys add a extra taste or dimention to a meal.
Today its Mango chutney, which is sweet in taste and is made up of half ripe or ripe mango. I have added paprika or red chilli too, for a spicy taste. Looks so delectable and tempting. You can use Mango Chutney as a spread on bread or as a marinade for various meat cuts. Mango Chutney goes well with chicken wings, pork, and beef too.
I have not used vinegar as i am making in a small quantity to last a few days or probably a couple of weeks in refrigerator. Lets get started!
- 2 Ripe Mangoes
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sugar /Jaggery
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Teaspoon Panchphoran ( A mix of Cumin, Fenugreek, Fennel, Black Mustard and Nigella Seeds)
- 4-5 Peppercorns
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin / Jeera Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika / Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Cup Water
PREPARATION TIME: 20 Minutes
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Wash, Peel, de-seed and puree the mango. Keep aside.
- Heat up oil, and crackle bay leaves, dry red chilli , peppercorns and panchphoran.
- Add Mango puree and cook until all water reduces.
- Add sugar and keep cooking on low heat
- Add water to get the consistency you want.
- Add Salt to taste and red chilli powder.
- Keep cooking until it gets thick and looks like a thick paste.
- Take it off heat and let it cool. Once warm enough to touch squeeze lemon juice.
- Mix the juice in and let it cool further
- For more spiciness add more red chilli.
- Once cooled, pour it in jar and refrigerate.