After a long and hectic week at work one tries to find comfort and rest in weekend!
What a great idea to start the weekend with a hot, delicious, nutricious, wholesome, easy to digest comfort food like khichdi for lunch.
With fried red onions, a papaddom and a spoonful of melted ghee on top is just what is called a comfort life!
This is very simple one pot dish generally prepared with rice and dal.
1) 3/4 Cup Rice
2) 1/2 Cup yellow moong dal
3) 1/2 Cup Peas
4) 1 Cup Chopped Spinach
5) 2 Tablespoon Ghee/Clarified Butter
6) 1 Teaspoon Jeera/Cumin Seeds
7) 1/4 Teaspoon asaefotida
8) Salt to taste
9) Black pepper to taste
10) 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
11) 1/4 Teaspoon Red Chilli powder
12) 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
13) 1 Cup sliced onions for garnish
14) 2 Papaddoms
PREPARATION TIME: 30 Minutes
HOW TO PREPARE:
* Soak Rice and Dal in hot water for an hour before cooking
* In a pan heat ghee and crackle jeera seeds and asaefotida
* Add turmeric powder and peas, saute for a minute
* Add salt, red chilli, garam masala, Black pepper
* Drain rice and dal and add it to the pan for cooking
* Add water and it it cook till it forms a mushy thing like in the picture
* Fry sliced onions ina pan and serve with hot khichdi
* Fry or microwave papaddoms and serve with khichdi