Curd rice or Dahi Chawal is a simple delicacy from south India. Mainly taken as part of a meal, but its a comfort food in itself.
Easy preparation and is loved by kids, bachelors, and ready to go meals!
Its very popular among the south states of Andhra Pradesh, Kerela, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
Its a savoury dish as compared to the sweet dahi chawal of north India!
1) 2 Cups Cooked/Leftover Rice
2) 2 Cups Curd/Yogurt/Dahi
3) 1/2 Cup Grated carrots
4) 1/2 Cup Grated Broccoli
5) 1/4 Cup Grated Ginger
6) Few Curry Leaves
7) 2-3 Green Chillis
8) 2 Tablespoon Oil
9) A Pinch of Asafoetida
10) 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
11) Salt to taste
12) Black Pepper/Red Chilly to taste
13) Pickle and coriander leaves for garnish
PREPARATION TIME: 30 Minutes
HOW TO PREPARE:
* In a Pan heat oil, add Asafoetida and crackle mustard seeds
* Add Curry leaves, Grated Ginger and green chillies, saute for a minute
* Add Broccoli and carrots, saute at low heat till carrots get soft
* Add rice and mix well, Keep aside to cool it
* In a separate bowl beat the curd and add salt and pepper
* Mix the salted curd with the rice into a thick paste like consistency
* If needed take more curd or simply add a little water
* Garnish with coriander leaves and serve chilled/room temperature with a pickle
* Any kind of rice can be used in this recipe