RARE MUSHROOM - RUGDA
ABOUT RUGDA (A RARE MUSHROOM)
Rugda is a form of root and mushroom, is found in abundance in Jharkhand.
Rugda is found in the forests of Bundu, Tamar, Pithoria and some other areas in jharkhand. Tribal women go to these forests early in the morning
and collect these mushrooms which is found primarily under the sal trees.
Its a seasonal(Monsoon) favourite, which mainly the tribal men and women sell in baskets on the roadsides.
Before making a vegetable, its needs to be cleaned and washed properly.
In Ranchi( Jharkhand's Capital), during monsoon you find rugda everywhere in markets, especially kutchery road
When cooked dry it takes a long time but has tastes much better than other mushroom dishes
When cooked in a pressure cooker for gravy dish, it beats all non-veg dishes!
1) 500gms Rugda Cleaned and washed
2) 2 Tablespoon oil
3) 2 Onions Chopped
4) 1 Tablespoon garlic and ginger paste
5) Salt to taste
6) 2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
7) 1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
8) 2 Green Chillies chopped
9) 1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
10) 1/2 Tablespoon Cumin Powder
11) 1 Tablespoon Coriander Powder
12) 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
13) 1 Cinnamon stick
14) 4 Nos Whole Cloves
15) 1 Bay Leaf
16) 2 whole Cardamom
17) 1 Cup Tomato Puree
18) 2 Cups Water
PREPARATION TIME: 1 Hour
HOW TO PREPARE:
* In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil, Add rudga and fry till they are brown
* Remove the rugda and keep aside. Add remaining oil in the pan
* Add Bayleaf, cinnamon, clove and whole cardamom
* Add onions and Red chilli powder. Sauté till onions look translucent
* Add garlic ginger paste and chopped green chillies. Sauté about 2 minutes.
* Add Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander powder and sauté for about 2 minutes
* Add water and bring it to boil, Now reduce heat to low and add the fried rugda
* Cover the pan and simmer one hour or till the rugda is almost done
* Remove the cover, add the tomato puree, sugar, Garam Masala powder and salt
* Cook uncovered over medium heat for another 5 minutes * Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the chopped greens Coriander
* Serve hot with Chapatti, Roti, or any other Indian bread or even with Steamed rice